Monday, July 03, 2006

Bubble, Toil, and Trouble



For an article in the SF Weekly, Tamara Palmer decided to check with the local hip-hop community to see if Bay Area personalities can afford the Cristal boycott and the bottle itself.

Name: B-Legit, veteran soloist who rapped about rum cocktail "Hurricane" with cousin E-40 in The Click.
Amount of Cristal purchased pre-boycott: None.
Amount of Cristal planned for future purchase: None.
Beverage of choice: Hennessy ($31.99-$125.00) and Baileys Irish Cream ($18.99).

Name: Chuy Gomez, host of the alcohol-free programs "Chuy in the Morning" on KMEL 106.1 FM and "California Music Channel" on KTSF TV 26.
Amount of Cristal purchased pre-boycott: None.
Amount of Cristal planned for future purchase: I may buy a bottle for my son's graduation, but that isn't for another four years.
Beverage of choice: An almost slushy, cold Coke ($2.79 for a six-pack).

Name: Traxamillion, producer of Keak Da Sneak's local hit "Super Hyphie" and the forthcoming Slapp Addict Compilation.
Amount of Cristal purchased pre-boycott: None — I haven't even held the bottle.
Amount of Cristal planned for future purchase: If I was at a party and they were passing it out, I'd have some, but I can go through life without tasting it and I'd be OK.
Beverage of choice: Hurricane ($7-$10 at most bars) or "Katrinas," as I like to call them.

Name: Zion, MC in Zion I, a group inspired by the Black Panther legacy as well as "Cheeba Cheeba."
Amount of Cristal purchased pre-boycott: None, but I heard it was good.
Amount of Cristal planned for future purchase: None, because I take care of my skrill [money].
Beverage of choice: Water (free) is the best, but I dig on Vitamin Water, too ($1.39).

Name: Trackademicks, buzzing street remixer and producer on Mistah F.A.B.'s Son of a Pimp album.
Amount of Cristal purchased pre-boycott: I think I bought a bottle of Cristal once ... wait — that was Crystal hot sauce for my fried chicken.
Amount of Cristal planned for future purchase: I need to buy a bottle soon to go next to my Paul Wall grill and Jacob the Jeweler timepiece.
Beverage of choice: Breezy drinks like Sparks ($5.99 for a four-pack).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home